Rules & Guidelines
- Your business model must address one of the Social Determinants of Health: The conditions in which people are born, grow, live, work and age. These circumstances are shaped by the distribution of money, power and resources at global, national and local levels.
- Choose one to two American Heart Association (AHA) selected urban cities where your business model will be implemented. Your company will be matched with an AHA chapter and local community leaders to help activate your business models and track progress. You can submit an urban city that is not on the list.
- Share in detail how your team will use the top prize of $30,000 to implement your business model and how you plan to measure success.
- If your company is one of the top ten teams chosen, you will be required to complete 3-4 hours of business storytelling training to help prepare and refine a 5-minute business story that will be presented at the EmPOWERED To Serve Summit at the Kellogg Conference Hotel in Washington, D.C. on October 17th in the early evening.
- Teams will be allowed up to two representatives to attend the Summit. The American Heart Association will provide one hotel room for each team as well as dinner at the gala on the 17th. You will be required to present a credit or debit card at the hotel to cover incidentals. All invited teams must be in Washington, DC by 12pmEST and are responsible for their own transportation to and around Washington, D.C., and to the Kellogg Conference Hotel.
- Exhibit space. Each of the ten teams will have the opportunity to display their concept during the day at the EmPOWERED To Serve Summit Expo. A 6ft skirted table will be provided. You'll be asked to submit your plans for your display by October 1st.
- The top three teams will split $60,000 in cash prizes. The winners will receive 50% of their prize the night of the event and the remainder will be released 60 days after verification that the agreed upon goals have been implemented.
Winning concepts will receive guidance, financial support, and in-kind contributions in order to move the venture forward.
There will be $60,000 in cash prizes distributed to the top three teams to enable them to move forward with their concept. The cash prizes listed below are for the entire team, not for individual team members. Prizes will be allocated as follows:
- First Place: $30,000
- Second Place: $20,000
- Third Place: $10,000
- Deadline to receive application: September 5th
- The Top 10 candidates are announced: September 12th
- Training and Prep: September 13th - October 7th
- Entre-SLAM: October 17th
Confidentiality & Intellectual Property
Confidentiality is not guaranteed in any way. If a team wishes to keep elements of their concept or idea confidential, the team should not include that information in their pitch. There is no way for The American Heart Association or its organizers to enforce a prohibition of other competitors, audience members or judges who see or hear a pitch from sharing the concept, idea, and/or materials with others.
By participating in the EmPOWERED To Serve Competition, candidates agree that The American Heart Association, Entre-SLAM and all related parties assume no liability, and shall have no liability or obligation whatsoever for disclosures of information provided by a competitor as part of a submission or otherwise during the course of the competition.
Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) between a competitor and the judges and/or audience members will not be required or allowed.
We're happy to answer any and all of your questions:
Give us a ring at: